Log in

Log in

 

My Account

Make use of the advantages of registering at www.wienerphilharmoniker.at: subscribe to various newsletters, participate in the drawing for New Year's Concert tickets and view your online purchases.

Register now

Close window

Menu Calendar

  2017  
  NOV  
M D M D F S S
W 1
T 2
F 3
S 4
S 5
M 6
T 7
W 8
T 9
F 10
M 13
T 14
W 15
T 16
F 17
T 21
W 22
T 23
M 27
T 30

Home > Orchestra : Orchestra

 

Das Philharmonische Tagebuch

Interna 2012

Mon, 24. September 2012

Interna

 

Four Musicians Enter Retirement

Franz Bartolomey

From the very first moment of his life, Franz Bartolomey, who was born in Vienna on December 23, 1946, was surrounded with the past and present of the Vienna Philharmonic. In 1892 his grandfather, Franz Bartolomey (František Bartolomej, 1865-1920) who had been born in Prague, became first clarinettist in the Vienna Court Opera Orchestra and the Vienna Philharmonic. His father, Franz Bartolomey (1911-1988) received a position as a second violinist in 1938 and also served as the Philharmonic's vice chairman between 1961 and 1965. Thus the training of the young Bartolomey training was carried out under Philharmonic auspices, as he studied with three of the orchestra's solo cellists. At the age of six years, Ewald Winkler gave him his first lessons, which he later continued under Richard Krotschak at the Vienna Music Academy, concluding his work with additional private study under Emanuel Brabec. Still a student he attained international recognition when he was awarded the Casals Medal at the Budapest Cello Competition in 1963. This was followed by a diploma from the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow in 1966 and the winning of the  International Violoncello Competition in Vienna in 1967.

On October 1, 1967, Franz Bartolomey became a member of the Vienna State Opera Orchestra and with that joined Josef Hellmesberger, Jr., Peter Schmidl and his brother Ernst Bartolomey, who had already become a member of our second violin section on March 1, 1966, as the fourth musician who had a father and grandfather who had been members of our orchestra. On March 1, 1973, he received membership into the Vienna Philharmonic Association and in that same year, following another successful audition, he advanced to the position of principal cellist. In the years that followed, accompanied by the Vienna Philharmonic, he performed all of the major solos from the orchestral literature, and accompanied by the Vienna Philharmonic, also performed Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante, Brahms' Double Concerto for Violin and Violoncello and the Cello Concerto by Edward Elgar, under the baton of Leonard Bernstein, Sir Simon Rattle and Sir Roger Norrington. In addition to this, he continued his dedication to chamber music, with which he had been intensively involved since childhood. He was a member of the Küchl Quartet and the Wiener Virtuosen as well as performing with Christian Altenburger, Tzimon Barto, Rudolf Buchbinder, Helmut Deutsch, Paul Gulda, Ernst Kovacic, Igor Oistrach, Boris Pergamenschikow, Sir André Previn, Sir Simon Rattle, Gil Shaham and Stefan Vladar, as well as Kathleen Battle, Barbara Bonney, Jessye Norman, Sylvia McNair and Thomas Hampson, to name only a few of the outstanding artists with whom he performed.

Franz Bartolomey, who has received several state and national honors, passes on not only the extensive professional experience he has gained in a prominent position within our orchestra and collaborator with distinguished artists as lecturer at master classes both domestically and abroad, but he is moreover an embodiment of Vienna Philharmonic tradition, to which he himself has contributed a significant chapter.

*

Wolfgang Brand

Wolfgang Brand was born in Vöcklabruck (Upper Austria) on February 25, 1948, and received his first violin lessons at the age of nine. After attending the Gymnasium Vöcklabruck Wagrain where he obtained his high school diploma in 1966, he enrolled as a performance major in violin, first with Günter Pichler and later with Franz Samohyl at the Vienna Music Academy (Vienna College of Music), augmenting his study in 1970 with a solo course under Henryk Szeryng in Geneva. He received his degree in 1974, after already having been engaged as concertmaster at the Raimundtheater for the 1972/73 season. Following extensive substitute work at the Vienna State Opera and with the Vienna Philharmonic, he successfully won the audition for first violin in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra and began his engagement there on January 1, 1975. Exactly three years later he became a member of the Association of the Vienna Philharmonic.

Wolfgang Brand, who was a member of the Hofmusikkapelle Wien and received the Gold Medal of Honor from the Province of Salzburg, dedicated himself to chamber music in addition to his intensive orchestral duties. Between 1974 and 1994 he was a member of the Vienna String Soloists, performing a large number of concerts with this ensemble in several countries throughout Europe. He later founded a piano trio with which he made appearances in Austria, Germany, Mexico and Argentina.

*

Wolfgang Gürtler

Wolfgang Gürtler was born in Vienna on April 11, 1947, received piano lessons since his grade school years, after which he attended the Academy of Trade, where he obtained a high school diploma in 1966. Following his required military service in the Austrian Army, he became a banking official at the Central Savings Bank (Zentralsparkasse) and by 1977 had completed two additional qualification exams at that institution. At the same time he was establishing himself in the banking business, he also took steps toward fulfilling a long-held desire. Inspired by the example of his brother Dietfried, who had been a cellist in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra since 1966, he began a night school course of study in string bass with Julius Badstöber at the Prayner Conservatory in Vienna. Beginning in 1970 he continued his studies under Otto Rühm, the long-time principal bassist of the Vienna Philharmonic, at the Vienna Music Academy. One year later he obtained an engagement with the Lower Austrian Tonkünstler Orchestra. Following a successful audition, he became a contrabassist in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra on January 1, 1974 and advanced in 1976 to the position of section leader. On February 1, 1977, he was accepted into the Association of the Vienna Philharmonic and became a member of the administrative committee in an advisory capacity (1980/81) and later served as the librarian of the orchestra's music archives (1981-1984).

The fundamental enthusiasm for music which manifested itself in Professor Wolfgang Gürtler's unusual career path is not only characteristic of his tireless efforts regarding our orchestra, but is also evident in his intensive work in chamber music. He is a founding member of the Vienna String Soloists, the "Gürtler Trio Vienna, the Vienna String Quintet and the ensemble "PhiliTango". Since 2007, in addition to numerous state and national awards and being an honorary member of the "Bachgemeinde Wien", Wolfgang Gürtler studied conducting at the Payner Konservatorium Wien and has appeared as an orchestral conductor in Hungary, Rumania and the Ukraine.

*

Karl Jeitler

Karl Jeitler, who was born in Neunkirchen, Lower Austria on March 25, 1947, also turned from one choice of profession to another. After four years at the Gymnasium in Neunkirchen, he attended ateacher's training school in Wiener Neustadt, only to interrupt his studies there one year before completion in order to pursue his calling as a trombonist. Consequently he studied with Philharmonic members Hans Bauer, Franz Bahner and Josef Rohm at the Music Academy/College of Music in Vienna, working hard in pursuit of this career. In 1969 he won an audition for the Vienna Volksoper; in 1970 he became a member of the Vienna Symphony; and in 1973 he completed his degree in trombone performance. On September 1, 1974, he reached his final goal when, following a successful audition, he became a trombonist in the Vienna State Opera Orchestra and, as of September 1, 1978, a member of the Vienna Philharmonic Association.

Combining his enthusiasm for his instrument with his teaching ambition provided Karl Jeitler with various areas of endeavour. From 1980 on, he dedicated himself to the development of the Viennese model of tenor and bass trombone, as well as tenor horn and euphonium, in cooperation with the Japanese firm Yamaha. In 1970, he assumed the responsibility for the development of a youth orchestra in Rohrau and between 1976 and 1986 he was the conductor of the band of his hometown, Grafenbach. He founded the "Young Wind Philharmonic" in 1990 and, since 1991, he has served as lecturer at the Pacific Music Festival in Sapporo. In that same year he founded a music school in Sakuma and expanded his activities at the Universities of Yokohama, Kagoshima, Hakui and Tokyo. Since 1989, he has conducted the fanfare at the annual Philharmonic Ball and since 2006, as part of the Salzburg Festival, he has conducted the popular "Special Concert of the Vienna Philharmonic with Young Wind Instrumentalists". To honor Professor Jeitler upon his retirement, his daughter, Maria Großbauer, wrote an informative and affectionate biography entitled "In Frack und Lederhosen".

 

Tags

© 2017 Wiener Philharmoniker RD0003FF4B68AC